Our studio is called Nottene and it is pronounced [nuh-ten-uh]. A few years ago I started a daily drawing practice to simply appreciate the things around me, and now our work comes from a practice of storytelling through drawing. We are inspired by the Maira Kalman line that a painting is truer than a photograph. We think it’s true for drawings too. Officially:
With an MA in textiles from Central St. Martins, illustrator Kimberly Ellen Hall has drawn or designed for clients like Coach, Hussein Chalayan, Anthropologie, and the Denver Art Museum, among others. Co-founder Justin Hardison’s background in advertising, client relations, and project management is a perfect complement. He has helped clients such as Reebok, Jaguar/Land Rover, and Sony through his work at Mother London and Tag New York. Together, they create custom illustration and textile work out of their studio in Philadelphia.
Kim will be Artist in Residence at Johns Hopkins HEMI project this fall! (Click for details)
Please see our feature on Design*Sponge this month: Storytelling Through Drawing
See us at:
IFCC NYC May 21-24, 2017 Booth 110
Field Trip May 2017 (email for an invitation)
Anthropologie, Anthology Magazine, Brooklyn Industries, Design Milk & Marimekko here, Land of Nod, Lou & Grey, Kohl's, Myrtle LA, Peacebird, Peter Alexander, Sunbrella, We Transfer.
• Cool Hunting • Design Mom • Design*Sponge • Design Retail • Hello Giggles • Jealous Curator • Luxe Magazine • Pattern Pulp • Philadelphia Magazine (print issue Jan 2017) • Racked • Refinery 29 • Uppercase Magazine Surface Design Guide • We Are the Market •
See our sister projects:
www.soandso.us (embroidered patches)
www.shrink-ray.org (a little shop about little things)
Exhibitions & Publishing:
• Go Forth!, published by Chronicle Books; contributor, coming 2017
• Pattern Studio, by Shayna Kulik; contributor, 2016
• Endowment recipient from PAOM, 2016. Collection for sale at Shrink-Ray.
• Alt Summit, presenter/workshop leader 2012, 2013, 2015
• Bust Magazine, article author, "Natural Dyeing", 2011
• Textile Arts Center solo show, the Virgin Knitters, 2011
• Identity design from The Land Of included in Basic Identity, published by Index 2010.
• Some of my design work has appeared in Made & Sold by Fl@33, 2009.
• Natural dyeing How-To video here from Etsy labs, 2008.
• profile in Coroflot's Magazine, 2007
See the lovely digital desktops that have come in past newsletters here!