Our studio is called Nottene and it is pronounced [nuh-ten-uh].
We are a print and pattern design studio and we make our own hand-drawn and screen printed wallpaper. We are interested in finding patterns in the small details of everyday life, and we are inspired by the Maira Kalman line that a painting is truer than a photograph. We think it’s true for drawings too.
Rather than print the patterns digitally, we want to push the boundaries of what is possible in screenprinted wallpaper. After creating the initial design in the studio and establishing the color palette, we work to see how much of the details and pleasant imperfections can be brought out during the creation of the screens and printing process. The idea is that the combination of hand-drawn patterns, delicate line work, and textured brush strokes result in a wallpaper that brings a sense of intimacy to a residential or commercial space.
With an MA in textiles from Central St. Martins in London, illustrator Kimberly Ellen Hall has drawn or designed for clients like Coach, Hussein Chalayan, Anthropologie, and the Denver Art Museum, among others. Co-founder Justin Hardison’s background in advertising, client relations, project management and sound design is a perfect complement. Together, they create custom illustration and textile work out of their studio in Philadelphia.
Kim will be Artist in Residence at Johns Hopkins HEMI project this fall! (Click for details)
Please see our feature on Design*Sponge: Storytelling Through Drawing
See us at: IFCC NYC May 21-24, 2017 Booth 110 or Field Trip May 22, 2017
Anthropologie, Anthology Magazine, Brooklyn Industries, Design Milk & Marimekko here, Land of Nod, Lou & Grey, Kohl's, Mango, Myrtle LA, Peacebird, Peter Alexander, Sunbrella, We Transfer.
Cool Hunting • Design Mom • Design*Sponge • Design: Retail • Hello Giggles • Jealous Curator • Interior Design Magazine • Luxe Magazine • Pattern Pulp • Philadelphia Magazine (print issue Jan 2017) • Racked • Refinery 29 • Uppercase Magazine Surface Design Guide • We Are the Market
Instagram & Pinterest & Twitter
See our sister projects:
www.soandso.us (embroidered patches)
www.shrink-ray.org (a little shop about little things)
Exhibitions & Publishing:
• Artist in residence at RAIR Philly, supported by a Maryland Institute College of Art Brenner Grant, Spring 2017
• Go Forth!, published by Chronicle Books; contributor, Spring 2017
• Pattern Studio, by Shayna Kulik; contributor, 2016
• Endowment recipient from PAOM, 2016. Collection for sale at Shrink-Ray.
• Alt Summit, presenter/workshop leader 2012, 2013, 2015
• Bust Magazine, article author, "Natural Dyeing", 2011
• Textile Arts Center solo show, the Virgin Knitters, 2011
• Identity design from The Land Of included in Basic Identity, published by Index 2010.
• Some of my design work has appeared in Made & Sold by Fl@33, 2009.
• Natural dyeing How-To video here from Etsy labs, 2008.
• profile in Coroflot's Magazine, 2007
See the lovely digital desktops that have come in past newsletters here!