Our studio is called Nottene and it is pronounced [nuh-ten-uh].
We are a print and pattern design studio and we make our own hand-drawn and screen printed wallpaper. We are interested in finding patterns in the small details of everyday life.
A selection of our new wallpaper TILES! Launched at Architectural Digest Design Show. Showing this fall/winter at the Delaware Art Museum
We want to push the boundaries of what is possible in screenprinted wallpaper. After creating the initial design in the studio and establishing the color palette, we work to see how much of the details and pleasant imperfections can be brought out during the creation of the screens and printing process. The idea is that the combination of hand-drawn patterns, delicate line work, and textured brush strokes result in a wallpaper that brings a sense of intimacy to a residential or commercial space.
With an MA in textiles from Central St. Martins, Kim currently teaches on the Illustration Practice MFA at MICA/Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore. She has drawn or designed for clients like Coach, Hussein Chalayan, Chronicle Books, and Anthropologie. Justin’s background in advertising, client relations, project management and sound design is a perfect complement. His sound work has been presented and produced in Detroit, New York, London, and Japan.
See us at: ICFF NYC May 2019 Booth 1389
and upcoming FIELD TRIP SHOW May 2019 NYC
We are honored to be named Best Wallpaper in the Philadelphia Magazine's Best of Philly 2017 issue.
Anthropologie, Anthology Magazine, Brooklyn Industries, Design Milk & Marimekko here, Land of Nod, Lou & Grey, Kohl's, Mango, Myrtle LA, Peacebird, Peter Alexander, Sunbrella, We Transfer.
Cool Hunting • Design Mom • Design*Sponge • Design: Retail • Hello Giggles • Jealous Curator • Interior Design Magazine (2017 Spring Tabloid Issue) • Luxe Magazine • Pattern Pulp • Philadelphia Magazine (print issue Jan 2017) • Racked • Refinery 29 • Uppercase Magazine Surface Design Guide • We Are the Market
Instagram & Pinterest & Twitter
• Art Futures resident at Philadelphia Museum of Art, supported by Delphi Foundation, Spring 2019
• MICA artist in residence at Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute (Click for details), Fall 2017/Spring 2018
• Artist in residence at RAIR Philly, supported by a Maryland Institute College of Art Brenner Grant, Spring 2017
• Go Forth!, published by Chronicle Books; contributor, Spring 2017
• Pattern Studio, by Shayna Kulik; contributor, 2016
• Endowment recipient from PAOM, 2016. Collection for sale at Shrink-Ray.
• Alt Summit, presenter/workshop leader 2012, 2013, 2015
• Bust Magazine, article author, "Natural Dyeing", 2011
• Textile Arts Center solo show, the Virgin Knitters, 2011
• Identity design from The Land Of included in Basic Identity, published by Index 2010.
• Some of my design work has appeared in Made & Sold by Fl@33, 2009.
• Natural dyeing How-To video here from Etsy labs, 2008.
• profile in Coroflot's Magazine, 2007
Sign up below to get the lovely digital desktops that come in our newsletters!