My studio is called Nottene and it is pronounced [nuh-ten-uh]. It is a Norwegian word that means nuts. I started a daily drawing practice to simply appreciate the things around me, and now my illustration work comes from a practice of storytelling through drawing. I am inspired by the Maira Kalman line that a painting is truer than a photograph. I think it’s true for drawings too. I studied textiles at Central St Martins in London, and, though I am from Massachusetts, I have worked in print and pattern from east coast to west, in the UK and Europe in publishing, fashion, & art. Thank you for letting me be a part of your story.
Oh also, I can be reached at brella at nottene dot net and on the horn at 646 431 6812.
Some recent projects include:
• See my latest silk scarf on Cool Hunting! You can find reference to the cyanotype bandanas too!
• SO thrilled to be included in the Uppercase Magazine Surface Design Guide!
• New work for Design Milk too: April Desktop Wallpaper & a shot of Vitamin D
• I have been doing some work for Amelia's Magazine, see Sorapol & Hiroko Nakijima
• A project near & dear to my heart: an illustrated lookbook for Myrtle LA. Fun press: We Are the Market, Discreet Charms, Honey Kennedy, M'as Tu Vu?, Racked, Refinery 29, Votre Grande Soeur, & Miss Moss.
• Please see a new piece at The Period Store. (wha? yeah!)
• You can now order prints of my work on Saatchi Online
• Look for one of my pieces on We Transfer! It's random & there are lots of artists (and ads!) so you might have to check again....
• A collaboration with Design Milk & Marimekko here.
• Recently mentioned on Design Mom & Pattern Pulp!
• Just got back from teaching a textile class at Alt Summit (and last year too!)
• My article on natural dyeing is out in the April 2010 issue of Bust Magazine!
• I just did a podcast with Anne Kenlon of Greenstitch. Listen here.
• The Virgin Knitters project will be shown at the Textile Arts Center from November 5-December 16, 2010. The TAC has also scheduled the fabulous Sabrina Gschwandtner to speak during the run of the show on November 11!
• My work for The Land Of will be featured in an Index book on identity design, Basic Identity, being published in October 2010.
• Some of my design work has appeared in Made & Sold by Fl@33.
• See my natural dyeing How-To video here from Etsy labs .
• My work has been profiled in Coroflot's Magazine
• My latex jackets are noted on www.vvork.com
• You can now see my work on the UK's Axis website. I was nominated by knit artist Freddie Robins.
• My Marriage Shirt project has been documented in Sonic Scope Quarterly :: contemporary visual art issue #6 :: Winter 2006, which is downloadable from the Portugal-based Grain of Sound.